Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine Apple Pie

My mother was absolutely the best pie maker in the world....apple, rhubarb, raisin, peach, lemon, cherry, coconut cream, banana cream...well, I don't think I can name all of them.
My husband has been wanting my apple pie for some time now. So I finally decided to make it for him for Valentine's Day! Well, it was a big hit.

I always make my pie in a 9X13 pyrex dish. Then I decorate it according to the holiday. Thanksgiving is a turkey...Christmas is usually holly and berries.....just whatever I decide to try.

This time I added a little cinnamon and sugar on the heart.


My mom had a wonderful crust recipe that she made by feel...I use to know how to make it the way she did...However, I found that if I wasn't making it on a consistent basis, my crust was not flaky like hers. So I finally resolved myself to using the following pie crust. It is a winner and works every time.
Never Fail Pie Crust
Mix together with pastry blender: 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup shortening, 1 teaspoon salt.
Add to first mixture: 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup water, 1 Tablespoon vinegar
Mix together with fork.
This recipe is perfect for a 9X13 dish or three 9" rounds. If rolled very thin you may get four rounds. Sometimes I just make a baby pie for the kids! They love it!
My favorite tool for making apple pie is the Apple Corer Slicer Peeler by Pampered Chef. A real time saver....you just have to remember to buy firm apples. When buying golden delicious apples, I look for the greenest apples I can find. If they are yellow, they are too soft for this tool and you will have to peel, core and slice by hand.
Judi's Apple Pie Filling
10-12 golden delicious apples....sometimes I throw in an apple or two that is getting too soft to eat...any variety.
1 cup brown sugar
3-4 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon plus of cinnamon
1 teaspoon plus of nutmeg
2-3 Tablespoons of melted butter
Mix together and pour into 9X13 dish prepared with bottom crust. Cover with top crust. Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Judi....I do miss moms pie. I talk about them all the time to different people. I can't make them like mom either. I am so glad you would share your pie recipe with us. Can't wait to try it. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this looks soooo yummy !!!! Now I am hungry :( LOL! Your family is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judi, looks yummy and I will try to give it a go! Love how you decorate your crusts!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Sweet Bloomin Scraps. My name is Judi. As you can see, my blog is a little of everything from crafts to cooking and sewing. My two sisters, Nancy and Arlana,are my greatest inspiration. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you will come back often.

Arlana Patten, Owner

Bugaboo Stamps

A Day for Daisies

Digi Stamp Boutique

Cute As A Button

Doodle Pantry

Meljen's Designs

Fresh Brewed Designs

Clear Dollar Stamps

Elisabeth Bell

Saturated Canary Digis

The Stamping Boutique

Stamp Fairy

Deidre Mosher Designs

Sassy Cheryl's

Wee Stamps

Digi Stamp Characters

By LORi Designs

Tiddlyinks

Di's Digi Downloads

Sparkle Creations Rubber Stamps

Digi Doodle Shop

Amber Inks

Robyn's Fetish Digital Stamps

Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps

Whimsie Doodles

Pixie Dust Studio

Prairie Fairy Designs

Inktegrity

Bee Crafty

Delicious Doodles

Busy Beauties Boutique

My Grafico

Squiggle Fly

KML Digital Designs

Mo Digital Pencil

Shirleys 2 Girls

Soft Pencil

Ippity In My Bucket

Say It With Stamps by Jen

Arlana's New Blog

Arlana's New Blog
"Sweet Things Handmade"

Blog Archive

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Blog List

Grab A Button